Sunday 2 January 2011

A Winter break in India




When I came to India, for the winter break, just to recharge my batterys. I wanted to get the real Indian experience, but I never imagined I would be standing at the base of a famous temple. A group of architecture students interning at Auroville had invited me to see Mahabalipuram, a temple in southern India near Chennai. The structure itself was amazing, with animals and Hindu gods carved into stone. Next to the temple were the Five Rathas, which consist of five structures carved of stone. I can’t imagine the time and manpower needed to create the rathas (without the use of electricity or machinery). And while so much effort and energy went into each one, they were only models. Once they were finished, the king would come and choose the ratha he liked best. That one would then be built full size as his palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment